Sunday, February 22, 2009

minutiae

Last night, I was exercising in my living room. I was doing a balance-ball routine that I've only ever done once before and it's been quite some time. I felt some trepidation starting it because I remember it being a difficult (though short) routine. I got through it with no problems though (okay, except I felt like I might have pulled some wonder-muscle all up my left side), and I came into the office to tell Cardo, 'I don't know why I thought that was so hard...it's actually really easy.'

Then, I woke up this morning and oh geez, my thighs and butt are so sore that I can't even squat down. I'm a total wimp.

One more note: Dora makes me want to drop the tv over the balcony. Pic is watching some Dora dvd we picked up somewhere along the way and the show is beyond annoying. The characters tell you where they are going about five times in a row at the beginning. Underground river! Forest! Tiko's party! UNDERGROUND RIVER! FOREST! TIKO'S PARTY! (And on and on, I won't do that to you.) I feel like I should embrace Dora because my child is half-Mexican, but I don't care. The show is just annoying. We'll just keep getting books from the library like Te Amo, Bebe, Little One, and I'll be satisfied with that. I can no longer handle this little obnoxious screamer with her and her friends' insistence that my child find the (very obvious) forest on the screen and scream out that we are next going to THE FOREST!!! If Pic needs to identify more with other Hispanic children, she can go visit her abuelitos in Mexico for a while. Or, novel idea, she can go to school. [Actually, in her class, she is only one of two Hispanic kids, but I'm sure that when she goes to elementary school, there'll be more 'brown' kids like her (and, yes, Cardo and Pic refer to themselves as brown).]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a song that I always get a kick out of. It's called Brown Girl in the Ring. It's a very happy song. At the end of the chorus, it goes, "She looks like a sugar in the plum/ Plum plum," with the final two plums sung very high and almost as though you can see the words bouncing up and down, *plum* *plum*!

That said, I must complain about the graphs in the Levi-Strauss reading. They make no sense. Before I'd seen the first graph, I'd already made my own; it makes much more sense. Ha, ha, L-S, you suck and I rock. Except it takes me hours to read you, which perhaps hints at me sucking and you rocking, but I'm ignoring that for now.

My final note -- the word verification is "noine" which can only be an attempt to phonetically indicate someone from New Jersey saying the letter 9.

Anonymous said...

Um, is it just my computer that's not updating, or has no one (besides Katie -- and now me) posted for this week's class?