Sunday, February 1, 2009

things that make you go "hmm"... plus cake tales

We have two Friday the Thirteenths upcoming. Just thought I'd point out the obvious. More importantly, however, is an upcoming birthday...that of my child (okay, that 'more importantly' part is hugely relative).

I think I've decided to make cupcakes for said child's birthday, so please ply me with your cake...suggestions. Last year, I made red velvet cake with raspberry-flavored pink frosting. The year before, I made (boxed) chocolate cake and formed it into a three-tiered layer-o-hearts with light pink frosting, darker pink trim and mini chocolate chips, regular chocolate chips and white 'chocolate' chips pressed into the sides as polka dots. For her first birthday, I made (boxed) chocolate cake with (canned) vanilla frosting. On top of that, I proceeded to add whatever sprinkles we had in the apartment. (None of these cakes have been particularly gorgeous, or not-completely messy, but they were made with lots and lots of love.)

So, what do you all think I should make for the child this year? (She's partial to pink, in case you haven't already guessed.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For Joshua's birthday, I made a cake that I found on the Food Network website. It's a buttermilk spice cake with fresh apple puree and cream cheese frosting. The texture was perfect (nice and fluffy) and it tasted fantastic. You could always add red food coloring to either the cake or the frosting (or both). Here are the three parts to it:

The cake and frosting (I left out the walnuts because I don't like them): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/buttermilk-spice-cake-with-roasted-walnut-cream-cheese-frosting-recipe/index.html

The apple puree: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-live/fresh-apple-puree-recipe/index.html

Anonymous said...

Another idea. Someone on livejournal posted a pic and recipe of a cake she'd made. It's a "moist pink vanilla cake with buttercream filling covered in marshmallow fondant." It looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say where you can find it: http://community.livejournal.com/bakebakebake/1803284.html