Thursday, March 24, 2011

it's alive!...

...and it's just wrong.

I attempted to watch Kenneth Branagh's 1994 Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Yeah, that didn't work so well.

Cardo and I watched just under an houhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifr of the movie and I finally had him turn it off. If I send it back to Netflix, how fast do you think I can get a different version?

And, seriously, suggestions? What version of a Frankenstein movie should I watch?

I get that it's a horror story, or, at least that's what Shelley set out to write, but the movie had me going from, "Um, no," to, "Excuse me while I throw up here" and back. I can't imagine that every movie version would be like this. I know that I watched some version of it in high school, but I don't remember what it was and the only part I even slightly remember was when the creature meets William...I think.

I have to say the Netflix reviews of the Branagh film were kind of funny. The first one I read raved about how close to the novel the movie is. Really? I'm wondering if the person thinks it's close to the novel or only close to what s/he remembers about the novel or only what s/he thinks s/he knows about the novel? Opinions vary widely about the closeness of the adaptation, but there are just so many wrong things going on.

Okay, I get that this is where I always have a problem with film adaptations. They're just that. It's not like Shelley wrote a script that can acted out exactly and it's great that artists take the liberty to adapt and morph as they see fit...I guess. I am just stubborn. Close-minded, maybe?

After all this rambling, suffice it to say I'm definitely not a fan of the film.

0 comments: