Monday, May 19, 2008

off we go

We are moving, yes, again. And I’m suddenly tired. I love to move and Poke used to joke with me that I would have to marry a military man because we’d always be on the move then (and because I’d never be a military woman…thank you other people for stepping up where I won’t).

I’ve always had this urge to move and move and move again. At the same time, though, I want to settle down. I want to buy a house where we will stay forever and where Pic will grow up. Cardo and I daydream about what our house will be like, but I’m beginning to think that we’ll never get there. First off, I have to make more than $20 a year. Second, we have to be settled and I won’t be ready for that for another six years, at least. I want to be able to race through my PhD, but I know that I can’t. I think I might have finally learned that I need to not take on so much because I just can’t do it. This semester was a big huge screaming day-glo neon sign telling me that. So, I’ll take it easy(ish) on myself and get through my PhD eventually and then we can think about settling down, because by then I should be making $30 a year.

In the meantime, we are gradually beginning to pack up again. The house is a wreck and I can’t be a calm person when it’s like this. There are bags of give-away, recycle, trash. There are boxes I’ve just packed. There are boxes that haven’t been unpacked in the last two moves. When we move, I will be in my eighth residence in nine years.

In the meantime, this just might swallow me (and this is just the office):







0 comments: