Wednesday, April 1, 2009

yea for the panopticon

How 'this is not my life...or is it?' is the fact that I just silently praised the powers that be that I am studying Michel Foucault for next week? Seriously? Had you told me a decade ago that I would feel a wave of relief wash through my body on seeing Foucault's name on the reading list...well, I would have said 'Fucalt [because I would have no idea how to pronounce it]? Who's that?' This does not mean that I'm an expert on good old Michel, but it does mean that I have studied him before which is more than I can say for most of the reading I've done for this particular class.

So, yea Foucault!

Does this count as some kind of growth on my part? (The theme for April's NaBloPoMo is Growing (Up).) Probably not, right? It probably just shows my exhaustion, my brain overload. Ah, well...

2 comments:

Coach J said...

I would never, EVER say "Hooray! Foucault!" Ever.

kate said...

I need a pronunciation lesson please. How is it pronounced? I've been saying "Fucalt" all this time and sounding like an idiot apparently. (not that Foucault comes up in normal, everyday conversation.)