Tuesday, March 31, 2009

beautiful dreamer

There's an episode of Friends shortly after Rachel gives birth to Emma when Emma's asleep and Rachel wants to wake her up. After she does so, she realizes why this is such a horrendous idea, though.

Anyhow, I feel the same way as that naive-Rachel quite often.

It took Pic forever (and ever and ever) to get to sleep tonight. We went for a walk earlier, and I was hoping this would wear her out. (It -- and everything else that I let get to me -- certainly wore me out. I took a nap this evening and, therefore, won't be sleeping tonight.) No dice, people -- she stayed up until after ten. Cardo keeps hinting that she's got my sleep problems and I kind of ignore the suggestion every time, as if not acknowledging it will make it untrue. I wouldn't wish my sleep issues on anyone.

After I read her one last book, The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation, she finally crawled into bed. I took a bath in an attempt to relax my nerves/body/ecc and, when I got out, I checked on her. She's tucked into her sleeping bag, clad in pajamas and a somewhat large, fancy purple and black dress, asleep. My first instinct? Aaaw. My second? I should pick her up and hold her.

Seriously, what is wrong with me? Why do I want to risk waking this child who will get up by seven o'clock tomorrow morning anyway, ensuring that she won't have had enough sleep? Um, because I love her and because I can't eat her up so I'd rather settle for some cuddling. Oh, right.



P.S. I have to say that I love that Rachel didn't come home from the hospital with absolutely no baby-belly. I hate depictions of women who give birth and instantly have flat stomachs once again. Sorry to shatter that illusion, but the body is just not that elastic. (Perhaps I'm wrong here? Perhaps others' bodies are just that elastic? I'm not buying it, though.)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teenager's bodies seem to be much more elastic. The girls who had babies at my high school (small town, I guess they had nothing else to do, even though I apparently found lots of other stuff to do) seemed to have flat bellies soon after giving birth.

Maybe this is a reason to promote teenage pregnancy. Um, yeah...