Monday, June 23, 2008

fear

Lately, I’ve been giving a lot of my life a closer look. Okay, so “lately” isn’t exactly the most accurate term. I’m always over-analyzing my life.

Anyhow, lately what I’ve been obsessing over is this desire I have to settle down already. I thought that at twenty-seven, I’d still feel so young, I’d still feel like there were so many opportunities open to me. And, I do…sometimes. It’s just when I focus on the next five to seven years of my life that are going to be devoted to PhD and the next three to five or more that are going to be devoted to finding a forever job that I start to get panicky. I feel trapped, suffocated. I keep asking myself, “Is this still what I really want?” and I don’t know that the answer is yes. The problem (one of them, at least) is that this is all I’m trained for. I have a Bachelors in English Literature. In a year, I hope to have a Masters in the same. I refuse to go back to serving and the only thing I’ve ever done aside from that is retail.

Since I was three, I wanted to be a teacher. I still believe that that is what I really want…or at least I think I do. I just don’t know that I’m emotionally and mentally capable of attaining that goal. Sometimes, now, I feel like I just want to disappear, become a recluse and somehow survive in this place I’ve crafted for myself.

I’m just starting to settle down here, form a community, a tiny little community, I feel comfortable with. Of course, because my community consists of people very much like me, many with similar goals, this community is fluid and I can’t bottle it. People have already moved and will be moving and, soon, I’ll be picking up again and settling down in some new and scary place.

And that’s the thing. I’m so afraid of everything. I’m afraid of creating new connections, but once I form them, I’m afraid of severing them. I’m afraid that maybe I’m just not really cut out for this. I’m afraid that one day Cardo will see that I’m so full of this fear to really live and take chances that he will grow tired of me and my timidity. And, I’m afraid that I will never allow myself to feel fulfilled, satisfied by my life and the choices I make, and avoid, in it.

And, I wonder if others have these feelings of self-doubt also, but I’m afraid to ask because if the answer is no, I’m not sure where to go from there.

5 comments:

Coach J said...

Umm, ditto. I think I've heard the same words come from the mouths of just about every grad student I've ever talked to. You are not alone, and we all feel your pain. You'll be just fine, regardless of what you choose to do and where you choose to go.

kate said...

((hugs)) I really think everyone feels this way from time to time. I do. And you're never going to lose Cardo. Anyone that sees you two together knows that he absolutely ADORES you.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. As Ms. J said, most of us feel this at one time or another. When we meet, I'm going to bring you an article called "Rootless Professors." It criticizes academia for just what you discuss. And I think your desire to continue to build community shows growth. Often when we're young we use the term "footloose and fancy-free" to mean we have freedom. But I think we're often too selfish to really look outside ourselves. I think maturing comes with wanting to build a community of people around you to grow older with, support each other, and laugh with. And remember there's always a teaching credential. It takes a year and a half and I had students bragging to me that their high school professor had a PhD and I've come to realize that she probably was on our track and either had trouble getting a job or wanted to stay in a particular locale. So remember your job experience is not futile. And I'm with Ms. Kate. Cardo wouldn't get tired of you. You know how we were talking about how we're most often the least generous with ourselves? I bet one of the many things he loves about you is the friction between Vickie-the-fearful and Vickie-the-damnit-I'm-going-to-overcome-my-fears. I think you're less fearful than you think you are. Great post! Thanks. -Alanna

Coach J said...

Weird video! Reminds me of Donny Darko...

Anonymous said...

I don't know if everyone feels this way, but I know that I definitely do. When I read the part about you wanting to give it up and becoming a recluse -- I think that ALL the time. Not only do I know if I'm made out for all of this, but I don't even know if I actually want it. I figure, though, if we change our minds about everything, it's not the end of the world...