Wednesday, June 18, 2008

peeved

As usual, I had a difficult time falling asleep last night. I finally came downstairs at about 1:30. At two, the neighbors began noisily going into and out of their apartment (I think it was some of the many kids who are always congregating there). I finally started falling asleep a little after 2:30 when there were two loud slams on the door at 2:45. Little punks. (Believe you me, there are/were many other not-so-sweet words going through my head.)

Because I had just fallen asleep, I was completely out of it when I heard the noise, so I didn’t react quickly. By the time I managed to figure out what was going on, the delightful and considerate little joys were inside. They woke Cardo up, which irked me even more. He’s been sick for over a week now and he needs his rest. They didn’t wake Pic up and thanks be for that. Next time, we’re going to go over and pound on their door. Seriously, parents? I remember being a kid (it really wasn’t all that long ago). I remember staying up all night at sleepovers and being obnoxiously loud and giggly (I hope not too loud, but I’m sure my parents just had to listen for a minute to confirm that all slumber-partiers were still present). However, we lived in a house, we didn’t slam doors or shove each other into walls or rearrange furniture or whatever the crap my neighbors seemed to be doing all night. And we never threw crap at or pounded on neighbors doors in the middle of the night (or at any other time, mind you).

Argh. Just as I thought it was getting quiet.

In other non-news: Pic has been blessed with a UTI. I went to check on her last night and her room smelled like concentrated urine (I don’t exactly know how to describe it, but it was a very pungent urine smell). I took her out of her bed and slipped her out of her pajamas and panties. I made her a little bed on the floor and I took her bedclothes downstairs so I could wash them today. Rarely does she wet her bed. I can’t even remember the last time she did it.

Then, this morning, as we were waking up, she called out to me “I pee-peed in my panties.” She was upset. I didn’t see any blood and she told me both “yes” and “no” when I asked her if she was hurting. Ten minutes later, just after I got her dress on, teeth brushed and sunscreen slathered on, she peed in her underwear again. She never pees in her underwear.

She was at school for less than a half-hour today. I made a sick-visit appointment for her at the doctor’s office (such an important convenience: the ability to schedule a sick-visit at the pediatrician’s office). She freaked out when she realized where we were going, but the visit went surprisingly smoothly. Even the peeing in the cup. She’s had to have a catheter put in before, once, when we thought she had a UTI before (turns out all the fun of putting the catheter in was for nothing). This time, the nurse handed me a cup and we hoped that Pic would be able to go in it. She did…kind of. She wanted to stand as she peed and she ended up peeing in the cup, down her legs, on the floor and on me. I really didn’t care, as long as the sample was big enough, and it was.

Since then, we’ve dropped off the urine sample at the lab, purchased her antibiotics, administered the first dose (“It’s milk!” she exclaimed before tasting it. After tasting it, though, she spit a large amount out and wailed, “It’s baaad.”), eaten lunch, bathed, done laundry and we’re both “resting” right now (I can hear her upstairs singing to her toys). Now, I’m going to lay on the couch like a useless lump until Cardo gets home (he gets off at three today, so I have a limited amount of useless-lump-laying-around time).

4 comments:

kate said...

Aww, poor Pic and Cardo. I hope all's better soon in your household.

In response to your question, the CBEFM makes it super easy to tell peaks from highs. One bar=low, two bars=high, three bars plus little egg-shaped thing=peak. I've had two bars for 11 days. Blah. It's only supposed to be 3-5days.

kate said...

Have you tried [i]Twilight[/i] yet? I'm telling you, it will suck you in. You can finish it in a day (if all you do is read which is what my mom and I both did) It's really hard to put down.

kate said...

ok so apparently HTML tags don't work the way I thought they did. italic maybe?

kate said...

Apparently you have to use the little arrowey things. Good to know. Ok, I'll stop overcrowding your comments section now. :)