Saturday, July 12, 2008

settling

From a website of writing prompts, I came across this:

"July 12 
Today is “Paper Bag Day.” It marks the day that the paper bag manufacturing machine was patented. If you were given a paper bag, what you put in the bag and why?"

Into my giant paper bag (I’d need a giant one), I’d put the anxiety, the doubt, the depression. I’d toss in the insomnia. The clutter would follow. The inhibitions. The over-analyzing.

Tonight (this morning, actually), all of these are rampant, swirling around in my head so quickly I feel nauseated.

We just returned from vacation. On this trip, I heard Cardo tell someone, my aunt, I think, that we’ve decided to settle down here. Only, did we? We talked about it. I fantasize about it. Settling down here, though, feels more like settling. It feels like copping out, giving up, shutting down.

“If we stay, what will I do? Will I stay home with Pic?” I asked him on the drive home.

“You could find a job,” he answers. “Whatever you want to do. It’s up to you.”

I couldn’t even imagine a life without moving on. Actually, I could and I have, just not a complete life. What would I do? What would I be? Who would I be?

I try to imagine how we would manage with me gone for the better part of three years and I can’t. I try to imagine how we would manage with me taking Pic with me to work on my PhD for the better part of three years (racing through and attempting to write a dissertation away from my school) and all I see for her is upheaval. I know he’ll come with me wherever I go, but I also know that the idea of being able to settle down here is so appealing to him. He sees how tired, how worn, I am and he wants us to stay and he wants me to rest. I don’t know that I’m capable.

On the drive home, I thought about his comment about us deciding to stay here where we have a tiny support network, and all I could think was that I’d be the ultimate failure. I’ll have never tried anything in my life...

3 comments:

kate said...

What do you want to try that you can't try if you settle in Reno? It's good to have a home base. Are there truly things that you want to do that cannot be done if you guys get a home there? Why would you feel like a failure? Mind you, I'm looking from the outside, but I have never, ever thought of you as a failure in any way. Far from it. I'm envious of how much you accomplish. You're so smart and so successful in everything you try. You have your own life. As much as I love my mom, I hate how much I depend on her down here. We wouldn't have the house if it wasn't for her. I never would have gotten a car. Mike and I often talk about how much we wish we could have stayed in Reno. As nice as it is to think that things are different elsewhere, everything in your own world is the same no matter where you live. *sigh* I wish that Mike and I had a support group here made of peers and not family. You and Ricardo are lucky. I wish I could be there for you, too. I hope you're able to get things sorted and filed in your head soon. Call me if you need to talk. You know I'm here. ((hug))

Anonymous said...

While I definitely don't think you would be a failure if you stayed here, I understand what you mean. I _always_ worry about making what appears to be the easiest choice. There's always the question whether the choice is what's right, or if it's just easy. It's difficult sometimes to differentiate between the two.

Crystal said...

I don't think this post was a downer, and I don't think you should apologize for it. This is a question we all have to negotiate. But I have a different perspective: moving can to a new city can be healthy, fun, amazing. I have done it more times than I can count and gained the perspective that people are WAY too afraid of change. You can find a good life anywhere as long as you are willing to be open to it, and to do what it takes to find it. On the other hand, I believe that if you don't pursue your dreams, you may regret it forever. Plus, a higher degree and a better profession means that you can give Ali more--a happier, more fulfilled Mama as well as more financial stability and opportunity.

Deciding you don't want to do it is one thing. But if you want to, go ahead with it...you can find a beautiful life in any place.