Tuesday, February 23, 2010

secret ingredients

Okay, so there's nothing secret about baking soda and vinegar. I know, I know, could I possibly go on any more about these ordinary kitchen staples (they're definitely staples in my home)? Um, yes. I could. And, I will.

Shampoo tends to build up in my hair. I've always had this problem. Perhaps all shampoo-users have this problem. I don't know. Anyhow, I apparently still have this problem with shampoo bars. (Why would it be any different?, I suppose.) There's been so much build-up in my hair that combing my hair after washing and toweling it dry has felt like my comb is a little hand attached to a very strong arm -- a little hand that is trying to yank every one of my hairs out. Ow.

I've been switching back and forth between my two shampoo bars, but that hasn't been helping of late. Finally, last night, I went back to washing my hair with baking soda. Then, I rinsed it with a ton (okay, a cup) of apple cider vinegar. And, oh geez, was that cider unpleasantly cold running down my back. After I got out of the shower and toweled my hair dry, I got out my comb and combing my hair was like cutting through room-temperature butter with a hot knife. So nice.

Okay, so I smelled like I was dying Easter eggs in the shower, but it worked. (I haven't dyed Easter eggs for over a decade, but that scent memory came back to me immediately.)

I'm going to try using a half-and-half water and vinegar solution as detangler from here on out and see how that goes. Pic's not a fan, she let me know tonight. The smell was too overwhelming for her. (She told me it smelled too salty. Mmm-kay.) The smell goes away. I like being able to comb my hair, even if it sometimes looks as if I never actually do comb it.

--------------

And, so, before I head off to bed, let me just note that I just finished mopping the bathroom floors with a water and white vinegar solution. Yes, I'm addicted.

0 comments: