Monday, February 8, 2010

tale in domesticity

Today, I got off to a late start in doing anything productive (but, not reproductive, mind you...that didn't happen at all). We picked up some (MORE!) used bookcases to house many, many more of Pic's books. One of our bookcases didn't make it through the move. It was the first one Cardo and I bought together. Ah.

When we got home, it was time for Cardo to watch football (GO SAINTS!*) and for me to putter around in the kitchen. (My grammie used to say "putter" and the term always makes me think of her.) I had many ambitions, but half weren't realized. Next week?

This is what did get accomplished (along with dishes and laundry and sweeping and bathing the babe and...):



I recently bought those mason jars. It's been a while since we've owned any (other than the jars left over from pasta sauces, which explains that big jar in the front), but I feel that I might actually use them, hence the purchase. I also used my crock pot. Well, I used it last night and ended up with weirdly dark brown oatmeal that smelled like burnt cookies? toast? I don't know.

The yellow soup is Catherine Newman's corn chowder. We made a different batch about a week ago. I really wanted to use up the rest of the ingredients and this soup is even better after the flavors have a chance to meld for at least a day. The red soup is Coach J's recipe (minus the water because my crock pot is small enough that there wasn't room for water). She left the recipe in a comment to this post of mine. Thanks! I look forward to eating this soon.

I can't wait to get back in my kitchen and make some bread to go with these soups. Mmm.

----------------

*My dad has been a Saints fan for at least as long as my memory serves. I'm not into football, but I was definitely rooting for them...even though I watched the game not at all. GO SAINTS!

0 comments: