Monday, March 8, 2010

e-books? no, thank you

Cartoons of the Week

I just saw the cartoon linked above. (That's the only way it would let me insert it into my blog, so I'm guessing they would frown on my copying the image and posting it here. It's two children looking at a book lying on the floor. One says to the other, "It's called 'a book.' ...Not sure where the batteries go.")

I've given lots of thought to my book addiction. I love books. I love to open a book and feel it in my hands as I read. I love to be able to write on my books -- only certain books, of course -- if I feel the need. I love to see them lining my shelves (and, um, stacked on every surface of my home and stuffed into every pocket in the car).

I can't really get behind the e-book idea. Cardo keeps asking me if I want some kind of electronic book and I'm very afraid he's going to buy me one. I told him that the only time I can imagine wanting one is if I were a frequent traveler and I needed to bring lots of texts and I didn't have the space/strength to lug them around.

I'm a somewhat staid, old-fashioned lass. Not in all respects, of course, as here I am posting to a blog. I have yet to embrace, or even try myself, Twitter, though. When I get stuck on an idea, it takes a great effort to get me to budge.

3 comments:

Coach J said...

I've just recently thought about getting a Kindle (Barnes and Noble's e-book thingy), simply because I'm looking to downsize and simplify, and cutting down on my massive book collection would be a huge step. Of course, I couldn't get rid of all my books.... that would just be silly.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of the e-book idea, either. That said, a friend of mine got a Kindle for Christmas, and although she didn't originally want one, she now loves it. She loves that you can write notes in each book, download articles in it, and take a number of necessary texts with her to conferences with her in one piece of equipment, along with a number of other things. I'm still not convinced, but I can see how it would be a good thing for some people.

v said...

Hmm...Ms B, your description makes the Kindle sound much more tempting.

Ms J, I just have such a hard time giving up *anything*. Cardo loves this about me...NOT! (Yes, I know, the early nineties are long gone. Ah, well.)