Saturday, March 13, 2010

psa: free pet adoptions

The Nevada Humane Society is offering free pet adoptions on adult cats and dogs (over four months old, excluding certain dogs) through Sunday.

I just came across this. And, I am so wanting another cat. I don't think Cardo does, but I do. Another cat or two or twelve. I don't believe adopting another cat is going to be a possibility for us right now and I know that adopting a dog isn't, but I wish the Humane Society the best with finding these animals safe and loving homes.

---------

P. S. I also just noticed a blurb on the site stating that black pets are much less likely than other colored pets to be adopted. I have no idea why this is.



Our no longer covert cat! I love when he crosses his paws like this.

3 comments:

kate said...

Bridget apparently likes no longer covert cat. She saw his picture and immediately calmed down, did a little wave at the computer screen and started babbling very softly something that sounded along the lines of "diddie." :D

Kat said...

I used to volunteer at a cat shelter in Chico, and we also had a ton of black cats. I don't know if it is the whole weird "bad luck" think or if people just thought they were "too plain." The brown and black tabbies, siamese (really anything with blue eyes), and long haired cats were adopted in a flash.

I have always had a black cat (or black and white at least) until now. This is the first time I don't. I currently have a Siamese and a Calico. I have to admit, I feel a little bit in awe at how beautiful my Siamese cat is.

v said...

I asked an acquaintance who works at the Humane Society and she said people *do* stay away from black cats because of superstitions. Also, she said black pets just come across as scary to people.