Sunday, January 3, 2010

i beg of you: food edition

This post is in two parts. Please feel free to help out with either or both. Thanks.

I'm thinking of buying a slow-cooker. Cardo and I have a giftcard we got from my parents for Christmas (thanks Mom and Dad!) and I think I'm going to use part of it on a slow-cooker. I've wanted one for a while, but I also want to know that I'll make more than overnight oatmeal with it. I already have an apple butter recipe from Ms Kat and I can ask Coach J for her vegetable soup recipe. But what else? I need more good recipes, please. What else do you all cook in your slow-cookers?

Also, Coach J told me she has a 2-quart slow-cooker without a timer. I was thinking I wanted a timer, but she says it's no big deal not having one. Also, I've only so far seen the timers on the five- and six-quart slow-cookers and I really don't want anything that big. We just don't have the space. And, we just don't have that many people to feed on a regular basis. So, I'm also looking for size and timer recommendations, please.

Okay, now for the second part. Lately, I've been into the idea of chow mein. I ate chicken chow mein the other night and I kept thinking, "I could probably manage to make this." So, does anyone have a good, simple recipe? (Does that exist?) I'm thinking either chicken or vegetable chow mein. Just know that I might, um, ignore certain ingredients like onions (unless they're green) and peppers. I've browsed online for a few recipes, but I want something someone I know has tried and liked.

Okay, so I await your responses. Thanks much.

5 comments:

kate said...

Ah, slow cookers. I have 3. In fact, I just got one for Christmas. I also wanted the timer version and, as you said, it only comes on the huge ones. So we now own two HUGE slow cookers and one small one. As of now, we usually use the small one because it's just us but it's barely big enough to fit two chicken breasts. I'm hoping the new timer one will help me use mine more often because I can set it when I leave for work and then when it's done, it will set itself to warm until we're ready to eat. We'll see if this actually works.
For recipes, I'll have to search for the site I found. (the link was in my faves on the other laptop so I'll have to find it again.) I have something like 3 slow cooker recipe books but I use the same few all the time. I'll send them to you.
Unfortunately, I can't help with the chow mein part. I've never even thought about making it. Hmm, now I'm thinking about it though. Let us know how it comes out of you find something worth using.

Anonymous said...

I use my slow cooker. It's convenient. I use it to cook a whole chicken w/veggies, soups, stews, and a few other random things, like apple sauce, apple butter...

Mine doesn't have a timer, nor do I think I really need one. Actually, I got another one for Christmas, and I don't know if that one has a timer. I haven't looked at it yet.

I don't really care for Chinese food very much, so sorry, I don't have a recipe for chow mein.

lotsofglue said...

For whatever reason I have two slow cookers. I can never think ahead enough to start something that far ahead.
It's one of rather annoying faults.

The smaller ones are better. I have a small blue and white one from sears and the dish is removable in case I want to take it somewhere.

You can buy a timer that goes into the socket/plug itself that will turn the power off to whatever is plugged into it. I got one at wallieuniverse for about 10$.

I have cooked the chicken chowmein. My sauce came out somewhat lumpy( this was 7 years ago) so I was severly discouraged. But now that I know how to use a wisk (haha) it helps allot.
Unfortunently, the recipiebook is gone. I would like to say was somewhat/medium simple. I was still learning back then how to cut veggies:)

Kat said...

I am looking for a new slow cooker, let me know what you find! I am not too much help with what kind to get. Mine is ANCIENT. I love it, and I can't find a new one that I like well enough to replace it. It is 3.5 quarts.

I have a smaller one(2 quarts)and it is in the garage in a box somewhere because it is plastic and I hate it! I just got a "dipper" for christmas which is a teeny tiny one for dips and stuff. Not too sure what to do with that...

As for recipes I mostly make stews, soups, roasts, and stuff like that. I have the cookbook that came with my ancient crock-pot (like 1974 or something), but I usually just adapt recipes.

Honestly, I don't use it as much as I'd like to. It takes planning and I am not that good at that. And I do enjoy the cooking process,so sometimes, I just make it in the oven instead.

But, some that I do pretty regularly:
The aforementioned Apple Butter.

Apple Sauce: core and peel apples put in crock on high for 4 hours.Done.

Chicken Parmesan (two ways)
1st way: dredge boneless chicken breasts in egg then bread crumbs. Brown. Put in slow cooker with tomato sauce (jarred, or make your own). Cook 6 hours on high. Put mozarella cheese on for last 15 minutes.

2nd way (much easier).
Put chicken (breasts or on the bone) in crock, cover with tomato sauce. cook. Add cheese.

Roasts: Put in potatoes, carrots, bay leaf, garlic, onion, meat and let it go.

and so on...

v said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm enjoying that you all have multiple slow cookers. (Yes, little things make me happy.)

I kind of want something big enough to cook meat in, but, who am I kidding, I don't cook meat. Perhaps I would if I had a slow cooker, but perhaps I wouldn't.

Kat, I love the chicken parm recipes. (I also love that 1974-era is ancient. Cardo will love to hear that! Actually, I love cookbooks from around that time. They say fun things like, "If you're lucky enough to have a microwave...")

Lotsofglue, I still sometimes feel like I'm still in the learning to cut veggies stage.