Monday, May 4, 2009

my dearly beloved Other

One of the places I've seriously been considering for PhD work has a less-than-two-percent Hispanic population. Actually, this isn't true. Here's the information from the Chamber of Commerce:

White………………….....20,505
African American…….....744
Native American……......359
Asian……………….........2,477
Other………………….........360
Total…………………......24,675

First off, yes, it's a tiny place. Second off (why isn't this a common phrase?), please notice that Hispanic/Latino/a is not even explicitely listed. The Hispanic population is lumped in with all the others who also don't even have a strong enough representation to warrant anything other than 'Other.' Where we currently live, 'Hispanic/Latino' comprises 22% of the population. (The numbers for the first location are from the 2000 census and the numbers from our current hometown are from the 2005-7 estimate.)

So, Cardo has kind of vetoed this little hamlet somewhat lacking in people with much skin pigmentation (check out the other numbers). If it came down to it, I'm sure we'd figure something else out, but I'm not sure that I want to 'figure something else out.' I want to live somewhere where the three of us will be happy.

Insights, thoughts, suggestions?

Does anyone want to help me compile a PhD program list? What should I be looking for? How do I find a place that we might call home for five (or more) years? I'm looking for a Rhet-Comp program where I can study both women's writing and Renaissance/Early Modern rhetoric. I'm also looking for a place where I have something of a shot of getting in.

I'm serious about receiving assistance from anyone who'd like to help me out in compiling a list.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on anything posted here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about the University of Arizona? It's Rhet Comp program is pretty good, I think, and because I'm having a hard time on my current paper and will do anything to avoid it, I looked it up. Their faculty has published in: "...Medieval and Renaissance ... gender and writing..." so that covers your requirements in that department. Also, Tucson has a large Hispanic population, so there's that, too.

Anonymous said...

I meant to include "rhetoric" after Medieval & Ren., not pair it up w/gender.