Wednesday, December 17, 2008

a few things, in no particular order, and of no importance whatsoever

I was sitting in a Starbucks* today, working on student portfolios and my own very last paper of the semester, sipping on my non-coffee beverage, when I noticed a woman who seemed to be heading to my car. I thought, "Maybe she's going to the SUV parked on the other side of my car?" but no. Carefully toting her coffee and her keys, making her way across the somewhat icy parking lot, she stopped at my driver's side door. She reached her key toward the lock when realization lit up her face. I imagine the thoughts running through her head as follows: "Huh, something's not quite right here. How did my car get to be such a pigsty inside? Wait, do I have a kid needing a carseat and thirty picture books stuffed into the seat pockets? So not my car."

On my way home from said establishment, I was listening to NPR. There was a story about fragrances. I don't buy or wear perfumes, colognes, body sprays and whatnot, mainly because I don't like most of them and I think, "What's the point of spending all this money on animal fat and musk sac combinations?"** However, I can now spend $3.99 on Burger King body spray, Flame,*** which boasts the slogan, "The scent of seduction with a hint of flame-broiled meat." Seriously, who is this for? I must say that none of the interviewees could smell the meat, though.

I also learned that Hummer and (Ford) Mustang have scents. None of this is incentive for me to want to buy fragrances.

Oh, and the burger story reminds me that "we" (in quotes because I do not include myself here), at my school, are proud to offer the Quint, a burger with five meat patties. Um...blech. Just the thought of that makes me dry heave a bit.

-----------------------------------------------

* I used to hang out and sip non-coffee beverages and do school-type things at The Purple Bean Too, previously Bean Me Up, but both that coffeehouse and the restaurant next door have closed in recent months. Freaking economy.

** I'm sure I buy plenty of other things with equally gross or questionable ingredients, though. Like mascara maybe. I actually have no idea what's in mascara.

*** Just a warning: If you keep clicking on the spray bottle, you get to this seriously disturbing image of that King guy who freaks me out no matter what, even when he's fully clothed.

1 comments:

The Furie Queene said...

I read years and years ago that mascara has guano, or bat droppings, in it. I don't know if that is true, though.