Monday, December 15, 2008

let it snow...um, actually, no thanks

I'm weirdly nervous and anxious when it comes to driving in the snow. Well, it isn't actually so much the snow, but the ice. I hate the ice. I don't know anyone who particularly likes driving on ice, I must say, but just the thought of it makes my stomach squeeze up into a twisty little ball.

I'm looking out the window right now (yes, as I type this) and it's snowing out there, baby. I made it to school without much more than a bit of sliding around. Last night, Cardo put chains on my tires, so I did have that. All of the freaking vibrations caused by the chains made me pretty sick, though. I'd much rather have them than not, so I'll stop complaining about that. However, I won't stop complaining altogether.

I want to go home. I want the sun to come out for a bit and melt some of this. I want to take that reprieve and drive home, get Pic, get back into my pajamas and watch some movies. (Oh crap-on-a-stick, I just remembered that my movies are due back today...I'm thinking they're going to be late.)

I know that there are those who live in places where this so does not count as snow, but, hey, I did most of my growing up in Vegas (yes, much to my chagrin). It snowed, like, once and the snow surely did not stick to the ground. It's really no wonder that driving conditions on days like this make me nervous. I drive a small, two-wheel drive car. Not fun stuff.

So, anyhow, I'm stuck at school all day today. I have a final right now, actually. (I told my students they could use the room for quiet study. No one has taken me up on it...real shocker.) I am hoping that we will get out of class early tonight, but considering the schedule, I don't see how that is going to happen. I might have to leave early anyhow and pick up Pic. Cardo has no chain or snow tires and I'm worried that he won't get to her in time.

Well, here's to visions of warm blankets, cozy fires crackling in hearths and mugs of hot chocolate (maybe even with mini-marshmallows). Also, here's to the crazy hope that it will stop snowing within the hour and clear up somewhat by the time I have to take off again. I hope everyone stays safe and warm.

2 comments:

Coach J said...

Hey, this is totally real snow. It's slippery, freaking cold, and very inconvenient. The damn truck wouldn't start this morning, so I had the pleasure of switching car seats in the snow with Destructor. Fun times. In the snow.

I'm with you. I'd much rather curl up with hot chocolate and watch movies while it's snowing.

The Furie Queene said...

I'm curling up with student exams. Maybe I should make a cup of hot chocolate to make that seem a bit better.