Thursday, January 15, 2009

'scuse me while i kiss this guy

Pic and I were watching Disney's Beauty and the Beast today. There's a part, at the beginning where the townfolk are singing and a woman with an armful of babies sings, 'I made success,' and the guy next to her responds, 'That's too expensive.' Except...

We were watching the movie with the captions on. Apparently she's saying, 'I need six eggs.' I always thought she was talking about popping another child out and the guy's response seemed appropriate enough.

This reminds me. In Disney's The Little Mermaid, there's a part where Sebastian's all up in arms* (how exactly did we develop that phrase?) about Ariel. I always thought he was saying, in a very distressed manner, 'My legs are short' (in his island accent, of course). Turns out he's saying, 'My nerves are shot.' My line works just as well, though...I mean, his legs are short. I just never understood why he felt that he needed to point it out just then.

-----------

* Perhaps he's all up in legs?

2 comments:

Coach J said...

This is sooo funny because I know exactly how those scenes go, and when I was younger, I had no idea what the baby-lady was saying. I actually like your version better.

Here's the origin of "up in arms":

UP IN ARMS - "Angry, rebellious. This term originally signified an armed rebellion and was so used from the late 1500's. It began to be used figuratively about 1700, as in 'The members were up in arms when the election was postponed.'" From "Fighting Words: From War, Rebellion, and other Combative Capers" by Christine Ammer

kate said...

I still say your version alound whenever I watch The Little Mermaid which has not been in a very long time. It makes me smile. Oh, and speaking of misheard lines, my cousin used to sing "pregnant women, sick of swimming" instead of "bright young women, sick of swimming" in Part of Your World. Still makes me laugh every time.