Tuesday, March 17, 2009

7-up and twizzlers

The weather is pretty freaking nice right now. Pic and I just took a little walk to the mailroom and I'm thinking we'll try walking to the library later. We'll see. This is the kind of weather that makes me restless. Not only do I want to get outside and walk and play, I want to go somewhere new. I don't know where I got this constant yearning, but it's been with me for as long as I can remember.

I think that when the weather starts to warm and we restart our family walks, Cardo braces himself. As we walk down the tree-lined streets, I look at the houses and wonder what life is like inside.

'I want a house,' is my springtime and summertime refrain. (Oh, wait, that actually bleeds into autumn, also, when it's still warm enough to go for our walks.) Cardo wants a house also. However, I'm not so sure that he appreciates me constantly reminding him that I want what we can't have. It's like I have no mute button for this phrase, though. I want a house.

However, all of this wanting amounts to, well, nothing at all. We just aren't ready to buy a house. Buying a house would mean settling down and I'm not yet ready to do that. I'm getting ready to begin the next five-year stage of Get v a Career. There are plenty of other reasons we're not yet ready for a house. One has to do with that career I was just mentioning, because, hi, I have no career and, come mid-May, I'll no longer even have a job (not the paying kind...unless someone wants to pay me to raise this awesome kidlet I've spawned? no? no takers?). Even if I were to continue at my current rate of pay, we'd never be able to afford a house. Anyhow, I'm much more interested in not attempting to lead us up a mountain of insurmountable debt than I am in getting a house...most days. And just finding a new line of work? Hello again, I am qualified for absolutely nothing. I have just about no skills (and no skillz).

So, for now, I'll be content with what we have. I have no idea why I feel like I need more anyway. Our apartment is certainly big enough for our family. We live in a nice part of town, with a library and several parks within walking distance. If the refrigerator breaks, we call the office and they take care of it, we don't have to go out and buy a new one. We've got access to not one but two pools. We like it here.

Even after all of that, though, I want a house.

0 comments: