Monday, March 30, 2009

good reads?

Dearest Interweb,

I am looking for a new magazine to read and love. I am very picky about magazines, however, and I enjoy them in stages. For instance, a couple of years ago, I was very into Cooking Light and Parents. More recently, I am into Self and Craft Stylish (okay, so I've only bought that second one twice and I'm not exactly certain about the title).

I know that I will be delving back into the world of books-as-pleasure over the summer, but I would also like to have a new magazine or two to turn to. I devour magazines (as I do most media dealing in the written word), so I usually finish reading a magazine the same day I get it. So, even if I add more than one magazine to my repertoire, it'll be manageable.

Recently, I've tried Time (I'll probably end up subscribing to this, as Coach J assures me it's much less expensive that way), Mother Jones and Bitch. All of these, though, I'm okay with checking out from the library (my library no longer carries Self, and besides, I like having the actual magazine so I can turn back to the various workouts).

Perhaps I should mention that I'm not into Cosmo, People, Glamour, InStyle, US Weekly (I'm not even sure if that is U(nited) S(tates) Weekly or Us Weekly, but I'm guessing the latter, considering the cover...unless it's some weird boast that we here in the USofA are unhealthily interested in the lives of celebrities (I'm not immune to this disease)). I'm not big on any magazine where it is impossible to find an article hidden amongst the ads. I know that makes this search more difficult, but there you have it.

So, now that I've set out some parameters, any suggestions?

Many thanks,
v

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Food & Wine. And the New Yorker.

kate said...

I really like Real Simple. I've thought about subscribing a few times but I've just never gotten around to it.