Thursday, March 5, 2009

barbie, ink

When I sign on (sometimes) 'news' stories pop up on my server's homepage. The following is the most recent story to be featured [I'm copying it in full here because it's short]:

Tattooed Barbie Rocks the Web
by Mike Krumboltz
March 5, 2009 01:01:24 PM

Barbie has changed quite a bit over her 50 years. She's been a princess, a mermaid, and most alarmingly, a NASCAR fan. But she's never gotten inked up...until now. That's right, kids. America's sweetheart now comes with tattoos, and some parents are outraged.

The Buzz is alive with articles on "Totally Stylin' Tattoos Barbie." Some parents remarked that they wouldn't buy a Barbie with tattoos, as it encourages girls to show off their bodies. To be fair, the blond bombshell doesn't come with tattoos already applied. It's up to the kids to attach the stickers where they see fit. The tattoos look to be the standard collection of hearts, stars, and butterflies. Sadly, there are no "Death Before Dishonor" or "Semper Fi" tattoos.

The doll also comes with temporary tats that kids can attach to Barbie's clothing or to themselves with a handy-dandy applicator. Despite the outrage, Barbie-maker Mattel has no plans to discontinue the doll. In fact, tatted-up Barbie is selling well. Searches are also moving at a brisk pace. Over the past day, queries on "tattoo barbie" and "buy tattoo barbie" have taken off.

It's also worth noting that this isn't the first time Barbie has done something controversial. A few years ago, Barbie's best friend Midge was pregnant. After parents complained, Wal-Mart pulled the doll. Stay tuned to see if tattooed Barbie suffers the same cruel fate, or if Mattel keeps it real.




[This is the picture from the article. Also, click on the story link if you want access to Krumboltz's links -- they don't transfer in the cut-and-paste. Here's his link for the pregnant Midge story, though.]

First of all, I never knew about the whole pregnancy controversy. I'll have to look that up in a minute. Second, have these parents seen the kinds of clothes Barbie wears? Because it's not as if she (and her cohorts) weren't showing off their bodies before. I don't understand how the tattoos any more than the clothes will persuade girls to show off their bodies more.

I am dreading the day when Pic decides she wants to wear ultra-lowrise jeans and low-cut tops. Or thongs! Geez, what fun to look forward to. Maybe I'll start wearing those styles and then she'll shun them, not wanting to dress like her mom. (Then again...I couldn't torture anyone like that, so I'll have to think of another plan.)

--------------------------

Okay, just one more thing on this topic and then I'll let it go (maybe). Here's a link to some radio conversation about pregnant Midge. (I can't listen to the broadcast on my computer.) The conversation is, um, older (note the Saddam Hussein reference). There are just a couple of small snippets I'd like to briefly comment on (Shakespeare isn't going to wait for me much longer...I have more pressing reading to be doing).

Krystle:...I think knocked up Midge is just wrong. It glamorizes being pregnant — as if everything’s right there in the box like an accessory, like having kids doesn’t cost money. Like when you’re eight months, you’re going to have skinny ankles and wear three-inch stilettos.


I agree that pregnant Midge isn't exactly an accurate depiction of what most pregnant women I've seen look like (you know, if you don't look at any pregnant celebrity). Also, um, yes having a kid costs money, but, hello, so does looking like a Barbie doll. Regular Barbie dolls glamorize an unattainable body-type.

Krystle: I found out that Midge can actually deliver the baby. You can pull the tiny curled up baby from under Midge’s detachable stomach. It’s like real childbirth minus the graphic details.


Why do I get the feeling Krystle has never herself experienced childbirth and has never seen the process either? Childbirth would probably be incredibly more graphic if an entire part of our bodies were removed to grant access to the uterus.

I feel compelled to mention that Pic has two 'Barbie' dolls. I use the quotes because one is Ariel and the other is Barbie-as-Rapunzel. I try to make sure she knows that these are just dolls and everyone looks different and that really no one looks like Barbie & Co (although some people might come close).

Okay, now I really must stop responding to this ridiculousness and get back to my normal completely stressed-out state.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, I used to have a pregnant Barbie. Or maybe it was a "Barbie". Either way, she had a big belly in which a little baby resided until it was taken out, and then you'd pop off her preg-o belly, and her "flat" tummy would move forward. Which, thinking about it, I now find hilarious.

Oh, and having that pregnant Barbie never inspired me to become pregnant as a teen. Go figure.

On a related note, I don't know why my parents would ever buy me this, but I remember one Chrismas I received Barbie's hope chest. It was a wooden box (with a key!) filled with Barbie lingerie. It had teeny bras, panties, and yes, even teddies.

Coach J said...

Eh, most of my Barbies wound up naked (and usually headless) anyway...