Tuesday, March 3, 2009

hibernation

I think that all animals who hibernate have the right idea. It's been somewhat dark and wet for the past couple of days and I just want to curl up under my blankets and sleep. Alas, I have many pages to read before I sleep (...many miles to go before I sleep).

In the meantime (basically covering any time from here until the middle of May), I feel like I'm in something of a dreamlike state. Time is passing and I'm both hyper-aware of this and, at the same time, barely noticing. I don't have time to stop and think, to figure much out. So, in this middle time of sleep deprivation, I will dream about what I will do when my life has been returned to me -- things I'll do after my initial (and possibly on-going) freak-out because I have absolutely no idea what my next step is.

I like to pretend, for every single year that I can remember, that summer break will be this glorious time of actually getting fun things done (and 'fun' is relative). My list is rarely ever even dented, but I mentally build anyway. Here're some of the things I'm dreaming about for this coming summer (I'm not, by any means including all that I hope to get accomplished -- part of the fun is letting the dream linger and develop):

-- watch Real Genius (now that it's been on my mind, I've been wanting to watch it)
-- sort through and organize the office
-- catalogue all of Pic's and my book so I can know what we have so I can buy more
-- relearn to sew
-- go to the parks and library as many days as possible
-- travel to Vegas to greet a new life

Okay, I'll stop there. Remember, I said 'fun' was relative. Organization is fun to me. A kind of fervent, must be done in a precise manner type of fun, but still.

I need to get back to Shakespeare in Parts and Amoretti and and and..., but first:
What about you all? What are your big or not-so-big plans for this upcoming break? For those of you who don't live in this world of school time, what are you planning for your next break?

3 comments:

Coach J said...

Plans? What are those?

Your list looks sooo fun, and I'm not being sarcastic either. Organizing is fun, I'm with you on that. Reading for fun is fun. Watching movies is fun. Is summer ever going to get here?

kate said...

My list looks very much like yours. I have a feeling it will be taken up with all things baby come the summer though. And for that, I am not complaining :) And the last part of that list had better get accomplished. lol

Anonymous said...

Spring break = Dublin, London, and Brussels (shh about Brussels, as it's a surprise for my travel partner)

Summer--> Organizationally speaking, I have literally hundreds of recipes that need to be categorized. I start doing this every year, yet I never finish.