Wednesday, June 17, 2009

biting my thumb...

...or thumbing my nose. I couldn't choose which I wanted to use, so there we go with both.

I was listening to NPR today and there was a segment on the 15-year-old winner of some text messaging contest. You can read a very brief bit on it here. I'm not a texter. It costs me $.20 each time I send or receive texts (even if I don't open the freaking things). I suck at text-ese (or whatever it's called) and I refuse to learn it. I really don't care to spend my time typing out messages on my phone, which doesn't have a qwerty keyboard, by the way.

However, should I really be shunning the practice? When there is a possibility of winning $50,000 for being superhumanly fast at it? Yes, that's right, Kate Moore won $50,000 for being the text messaging champion. It's a mad mad mad mad world, all right.

Oh, one more piece of texting information: In the 8 June Time, I read that 2,272 is the "Number of text messages sent and received by the average American teen every month, according to the Nielsen Co. -- almost 80 messages a day." I'm not looking forward to that. I'm pretty sure it will make me completely pazza if Pic is constantly on the phone, texting people. I'm wondering how long we're going to hold off in getting her a phone, period (we aren't even considering it yet, in case you were wondering).

1 comments:

The Furie Queene said...

Oops. Sorry, I will try to not send you texts from now on. I didn't know you had to pay for them.