Tuesday, June 23, 2009

um, no

I just came across this piece on 'The Occasional Wife' over here.



A couple of things. First, I thought I was a wife, y'know being a woman married to a man and all. At least I've on occasion thought of myself as such. Apparently, though, I'm not. Not really. I perform about two of the tasks listed above: personal shopping (but only kind of because Cardo and I grocery shop and clothes shop together, I don't really buy personal items for him) and running errands (of course, almost all of the time they're my errands...except, well, yesterday Pic and I did pick up his heart medication for him).

Second, if these are the tasks a 'wife' (yes, I want the quotes there) performs, and I don't really do these, does that mean I get to be a husband too? Do I get a different title?

Well, I'll leave this here. I'm exhausted after getting only four hours of sleep last night. Except, wait, I just looked at the logo again and the byline is 'The Modern Solution To Your Busy Life.' What's modern about this? The fact that the person (I'm guessing only women?) is paid for her work? That she's called a 'wife' and not a 'servant' or a 'housekeeper'?

One last quick comment. I'd never fulfill the ideal of 'wife' presented here anyway because I do not wear heels, a cocktail dress, a frilly apron and jewelry to get my 'wifely-duties' accomplished. The other day, I washed dishes in a towel and slippers (my clothes were in the dryer). Just a few minutes ago, I washed dishes in lounge-shorts and a fifteen-year-old tank top.

0 comments: