Friday, October 16, 2009

checking in

Wow. October is looking dismal as far as posts. Also, as far as keeping in touch (that phrase always reminds me of yearbook signatures: v, it was really neat knowing you, K.I.T.!!!).

We have been out of town for a few days now. Pic and I accompanied Cardo on some business and then we spent some quality family time away from the quality family apartment. Okay, so we spend tons of quality family time together. In fact, of late, I have used my family and my family time as a blanket in which to wrap myself as I try to figure out if I'm ready to open the doors and the lines of communication and really have to talk to people about the abrupt departure for far-flung places and the equally abrupt return. It's nice here in my family quilt.

So, anyhow, I've made a decision. I've decided that my thirties will be my years to grow up. Yes, I know that I have a decade of college work under my belt. I've held numerous jobs in those same last ten years. I've been with Cardo for eight years and we've been married for six. I have a four-year-old. You'd think I'd have already grown up, or at least I'd feel as if I had. Not so.

So...my thirties. That gives me a bit more time to even get there and then an entire decade to figure 'it' out. I can do that. In fact, I have a lot of 'it' figured out, just not so much of the dotting of the 'i' and the crossing of the 't.' (Yeah, yeah, I know that was an awkward figurative trip I just took you on. All I mean is that I've got the big picture figured out -- I've had that down for the past twenty-five years or so. Now, I just need to begin filling in the details, hence the dotting and the crossing.)

Possibly pictures later. This means that I'll actually have to charge the camera battery which died at precisely the moment I was going to take a picture of a B&B Cardo and I keep threatening to go to. Ah well, it lives on in our imaginations (and, y'know, in all of its solid glory of actual existence).

Also, possibly a weekly dinner menu soon. We need to grocery shop. I'm hoping that happens tomorrow. Although what we buy might start to look different. Okay, not all that much different. I, along with the help of a certain journalist, somewhat freaked Cardo out today and he's all ready to go vegetarian. First of all, we barely buy meat. I don't really like to cook it. Second, I'm not sure that this new resolution of his, made in the passionate moment of hearing something disturbing, will really take hold.

Well, I just wanted to get back in the habit of actually posting here. I like the habit. I like the space. It's a great place to come to both vent and avoid all at the same time, a great place to put myself out there and to hide. It's my kind of space. Thanks be for the interweb.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, since you mentioned menu planning and what not, it reminded me to mention this. Every so often I "secret shop" at Whole Foods. The woman in charge if this asked me if I know anyone else who'd be interested. If you are, I'll give her your e-mail address.

What happens is that she mails a gift card for $50. You then have to go to WF within a week, talk to 10 people who work there, then go home and write fill out a form she has about it. The shopping takes about an hour and the writing takes about 30-60 minutes.

And in case you're wondering, I don't get anything for referring people. I do it, have done it about half a dozen times now. Renee initially referred me. I figure, it's free groceries. Let me know if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and regarding a part of your post, if you go out with people, you don't necessarily have to talk about anything you don't want to, nor do you have to explain yourself. You make decisions that you feel are best for you, and that's that.

And in case you're dubious about not being "forced" into talking about thins, for awhile I didn't want to talk about certain things in my life, but I needed to be around people, and they (including you -- thanks!) seemed to sense that and let things sit or let me mention things if I wanted/needed to.

lotsofglue said...

I agree with you with not wanting to eat store bought, commeralized meat. Nikki drinks milk that is from hormone free cows, I try to get organic as much as possible or grow it myself.
We mainly stick with(I hope this doesn't upset you) deer. (Not the crap they have on TV with hunting, we do not sport hunt. That is the biggest bunch of BS. We have a very strict sense of honor with the hunting we do and will not hunt with other that are idiots.)
If it was just Nikki and I, we would be veg mainly. My friends stare at me with the looks of wtf? on their faces when I tell them.