Friday, October 2, 2009

a few favorites

These are a few of my favorite children’s books. As I come across more that Pic and I enjoy, I’ll share more…possibly. (I tend to start projects and let them drift off into the ether.)

The Piggy in the Puddle by Charlotte Pomerantz, illustrated by James Marshall. I love to read this book aloud. Immediately after I finish it, I want to read it aloud again. It’s that fun.

See the piggy,
See the puddle,
See the muddy little puddle.
See the piggy in the middle
Of the muddy little puddle.


Also, there’s a great Reading Rainbow segment (ah, Reading Rainbow) in which clay artists create a claymation version of this.

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert N. Munsch, illustrated by Michael Martchenko. I’m not sure how the paper bag survived the initial disaster, but that’s okay. I love the story. I love that the prince and the princess both have personalities and that this doesn’t end up all sappy and conventional. (Oh, and apparently, you can buy a copy on amazon for $112...I'm hoping it comes with a dragon.)

The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear by Don Wood and Audrey Wood. I love the illustrations. I love that Pic had this memorized just about the first time she heard it and that she reads it to me. Oh, and I love the illustrations.

3 comments:

Coach J said...

Destructor LOVES "The Little Mouse." He likes the BOOM BOOM BOOM! And the SNIFF SNIFF SNIFF.

kate said...

Bridget's current fave (as well as mine) is "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" by Michael Rosen, ill by Helen Oxenbury. Fun, fun, fun to read aloud.

The Furie Queene said...

One of my favorites was What the Wind Told. You can view it (well, there's not a picture, so read about it is more accurate) at the following link on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Wind-Told-Betty-Boegehold/dp/0590411403/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254626688&sr=8-1