Thursday, November 13, 2008

pork chopsh and...


...okay, so there was applesauce, but no pork chops. Yes, that's right, I'm posting a picture of a mug containing applesauce. "Why?" you might ask. "Because," I might then respond, "I made this applesauce."

That's right. I'm pretending to be domestic and I made the applesauce. Okay, so applesauce has to be one of the easiest things to make, but still...

I peeled and quartered the apples and cut out the cores. I added a bit of water to our big soup pot, added the apples, put the lid on, turned on the stove and then kind of forgot about the apples. Oops. When I remembered about them, the water was boiling, so I removed the lid and stirred the apples around a bit. They were already breaking up by then. I left them for about a half-hour more and they were sauce. After they'd cooled, I added a bit of maple syrup (because, why not?), but I can't really taste it.

I only had five Granny Smith apples, so that's what I used. Okay, so I had six, but Pic swiped one before I got started. This was actually the perfect amount because the finished product easily fit into one of our containers. Next time, I'll probably make more and I'll use a variety of apples. Oh, and if I have a food mill by then, I'll cook the apples with all of their parts still attached and run the cooked apples through the mill.

I got the, um, recipe (more like the technique, I suppose) from How to Cook Everything. Oh! Looking that up, I see that there's 10th anniversary edition! Yea!

1 comments:

The Furie Queene said...

Okay, you say apple sauce is super easy, but I have yet to try making any because it just sounds intimidating. I have some apples on my counter, though, so maybe. I bought them to make an apple pie, but maybe sauce will win out on pie for these apples.

When I went to NY, I stayed in a B&B, and the kind older woman who owned the place made everything from scratch, including jam and applesauce. Since then, I've been itching to make some of my own. I'm a big fan of cinnamon applesauce, so I'd have to add a few dashes of cinnamon to mine.